Q: When should I call 911?
A: When there is an emergency, serious medical event or trauma, crime in progress, threat to life and safety, or any event requiring immediate medical, fire, or law enforcement assistance. Routine matters should be directed to the non-emergency number. If you are unsure of which number to call, error on the side of safety and dial 911.

Q: When should I call the non-emergency dispatch number (319-356-6800)?
A: Call the routine line at the dispatch center for general inquiries or to report a crime well after it has occurred. Here are a few examples of matters that should be directed to the non-emergency line:

  • Theft of a bicycle that occurred a week ago
  • Missing dog
  • Parking complaint
  • To ask an on-duty officer a question

Q: When should I call UHPD directly (319-887-6800)?
A: If you would like to speak to a specific officer or a department supervisor. Each officer's badge number also serves as their extension for the phone system. 

Q: What should I do if I see a crime in progress?
Call 911. If a crime has already occurred and no longer poses a safety threat, use the non-emergency number.


Q: How do I contest a parking ticket?
A: You may contest a parking ticket directly with the Chief of Police.

Q: How do I get a parking pass for Marietta Avenue?
A: We do not currently sell parking passes on this website. Please visit the police department in person to purchase a pass. Passes are $20/vehicle, expire July of each year, and are non-transferable. 


Q: What laws are enforced during events at Kinnick Stadium? 
A: See the Game Day Enforcement Guide.


Q: How many officers does University Heights Police Department employ?
A: Visit our Staff listing.

Q: What is the jurisdiction of the University Heights Police?
A: View the City of University Heights on Google Maps to see the City's boundaries. Outside of our small town, we often assist other agencies within Johnson County. All of certified officers have statewide enforcement powers.


Q: What is a reserve peace officer?
A: By Iowa Code, reserve officers have the same rights, privileges, duties, and obligations as regular officers while they are on duty. The department prides itself on maintaining one of the most active reserve units in the area.  Reserve officers frequently ride with full-time officers or more experienced reserve officers. Once they have received the necessary training, they are allowed to patrol on their own.  Reserves receive training in all facets of police work, similar to that received by full-time officers and are authorized to carry weapons after completing the necessary training. Visit our reserve officer page for more information.

Q: How do I become a reserve peace officer?
A: Visit our reserve officer page for more information.


Q: How do I request a public record or police report?
A: Click here to view the current city policy for public record requests and to download the appropriate form. Contact the Chief of Police to request police records.

Q: How do I file a complaint? 
A: Call the police department directly, visit us in person, send a form by mail, or use the online form. Click here for more information.

Q: Can I request a UHPD patch for my collection? 
A: Unfortunately, we do not share patches.


Q: Does University Heights have a curfew for minors?
A: Yes, since 1980. It is unlawful for any person under 16 years of age to be or remain in or upon any of the streets, alleys or public places in the city between 10:30 p.m. and 6:30 a.m., unless such person is accompanied by his or her parent, guardian, or other adult person having the custody of, or legally responsible for such minor person, or unless such person has a reasonable or legitimate reason for being upon such streets or alleys or at such public places within the specified hours. Click here to read the full text of the city ordinance. 

Q: How do I check if there is a warrant for my arrest?
A: Contact dispatch and ask to speak with an officer.