The University Heights Police Department is located in Johnson County, Iowa, near the University of Iowa Hospital and Kinnick Stadium. Unlike other small police departments, we are located within a larger city. Mutual aid, traffic enforcement, and community policing are key to our work. We hire passionate, dedicated, and highly moral candidates.
We are currently hiring reserve officers only. Applications will be accepted until 5 pm CST on January 15th, 2018.
Benefits and Compensation
Full and part-time officers make between $18.00 and $22.00 /hour in their first year of employment dependent upon candidate experience, education, and training. Full-time officers receive medical insurance and 170 hours of paid annual leave for one through four years of service. Part-time officers do not receive benefits. Reserve officers volunteer, but receive $2 /year.
Minimum Applicant Requirements
- Have a high school diploma or equivalent. College is preferred;
- Be physically fit and able to pass the ILEA fitness standards. See ILEA for more information.
- Live within Johnson County, Iowa by time of appointment;
- Hold a valid Iowa driver's license;
- Be a U. S. Citizen and a resident of Iowa or intend to become a resident upon being employed;
- Be at least 20 years of age at the time of appointment;
- Not be opposed to use of force to fulfill duties;
- Not be addicted to drugs or alcohol;
- Be of good moral character as determined by a thorough background investigation including a fingerprint search conducted of local, state and national fingerprint files and have not been convicted of a felony or a crime involving moral turpitude;
- Have uncorrected vision of not less than 20/100 in both eyes, corrected to 20/20, and color vision consistent with the Occupational demands of law enforcement;
- Have normal hearing in each ear (hearing aids are acceptable if a candidate can demonstrate sufficient hearing proficiency to perform all necessary duties of a law enforcement officer);
- Be examined by a physician and meet the physical requirements necessary to fulfill the responsibilities of a law enforcement officer.
- Physical agility
- Written cognitive entrance exam (POST)
- Oral interview - By appointment
- Conditional offer of employment
- Background investigation
- Medical examination
- Drug screening test
- Psychological test
- Chief's interview
- Final offer of employment
If you would like to be notified of future job openings, please complete the form below.